Project Description

This is one of two homes on the tour that was originally occupied by its architect.  Built in 1961 by James D. “Jim” Wells, Jr. and Elizabeth “Rita” Wells, the home features an open floor plan, with two large spaces to entertain on the main level.  Slate flooring spills from the entry porch into the foyer, creating a direct relationship to the outdoors, bringing the outside in. The home features a great use of space and siting that allows natural light to enter through its many floor-to-ceiling windows, while providing ample shade from the hot sun by using exaggerated, deep roof overhangs.  Wells designed the built-ins and a fireplace with a bench-style hearth in the den.  

Jim Wells came to Clemson College (University) to play football under Coach Frank Howard and graduated in 1954 with a BS degree in Architecture.  He moved to Greenville after graduation to join the architectural firm that became Freeman, Wells, and Major Architects, PA. He practiced architecture until his retirement.