Project Description

THE HELLER HOUSE

HISTORY

This is the Heller House, originally designed for Max and Trude Heller. Mr. Heller was mayor of Greenville from 1971–1979; Mrs. Heller was a well-known member of the Greenville community, Holocaust survivor and public speaker on that subject.

The architect Liberty R. Lloyd returned from service in the Air Force at the end of WW2 and worked as an architect for around 10 years. The pool and pool house were added in 1957 and do not appear to be designed by him.

The Hellers lived in this home for 59 years. The current owners are only the second owners of the home. Original architectural drawings have allowed the current owners to gradually add in items that were not constructed due to cost. The tile design at the main entry is one such addition.

DESIGN FEATURES

  • Extensive use of groove & tongue redwood, both smooth and beaded, throughout the main living areas and in the outdoor planters
  • Consistent use of 7.5° angles throughout the exterior and interior designs
  • The ‘hers and hers’ double bathroom off of the girls’ bedroom, with a shared toilet and pivoting door

OF NOTE

  • Several original Gerald Thurston light fixtures
  • Three large sliding glass doors, manufactured by Malibu Manufacturing in Los Angeles, California
  • A large original redwood bar in the basement that can be rolled outside.