THE LONG HOUSE

HISTORY

The house was built in 1955 for the Jones family on an expansive lot in the Stone Lake neighborhood using plans designed by home designer Liberty R. Lloyd, a World War II pilot who designed homes in South Carolina before becoming employed in 1956 as a pilot for Union Camp in Franklin, Va.

Previous owners include Ronald and Ann Post, as well as Robert and Carol Gravlee.

The Longs, who have owned the home since 2013, have Lloyd’s original plans, as well as landscaping plans and plans for the 1960 addition. It saw the construction of a dining room and a sunroom.

DESIGN FEATURES

  • Low-pitched gable roof line
  • Deep eaves around the house
  • Picture windows, particularly at the center of the front façade
  • Original architectural lighting on the interior
  • The interior features the original built-in cabinets and an original built-in desk

OF NOTE

  • The current homeowners have several pieces of Asian furniture inherited from Mrs. Long’s late uncle, Chuck Gilreath, who retired as a major from the U.S. Army
  • A carved chest and screen, brass and teak tables, apothecaries, and camel saddles were brought back from both Iran and Japan by Gilreath, who during his military career served tours in the Korean and Vietnam wars